Monday, April 30, 2012

It's that time again ..



So, tomorrow I have my routine CT scan prior to my routine oncology checkup and routine blood work.  Here's hoping it's all ROUTINE.  Every time I have a scan or a test or a biopsy, I worry about what they will find.   And now I know that is pretty much SOP for any cancer survivor.

The trick is not to get it get the best of you.

Some rather strange things have been happening.  Last week I lost two toenails.  They were the ones that were ugly gray a while back.  I guess it's death by chemo but it's 11 months since my last treatment so you'd think they could have hung on.  (At least through sandal season .. right?)  There is nothing uglier than a toe without a nail.  

The other thing is that my left leg has been swollen for two weeks.  Putting my feet up doesn't relieve it and it's been almost painful at times.  Not sure what's causing it but I hope it's not the first sign of lymphedema.  Wouldn't that start in my surgical arm anyway?  More questions for the oncologist.  I have a fistful.

I'm gaining weight like a sumo wrestler despite my increased activity level ... and I swear I am NOT eating junk food!  No sodas, no ice cream, no pie, no cookies.  It's very discouraging but I suspect it's the Tamoxiphen.  And I've got to have that for at least seven more months before I switch to a different estrogen blocker. 

And for those of you who are interested in my awesome experience at the Casting For Recovery retreat, you can check out my blog entry here.  I've pretty much switched my attention away from AWH and back to DRH.  I'll still come here to report anything newsworthy (like my suicidal toe nails) but mostly I am too busy being in love with my piece of heaven here on The Dirt Road.

I hope all of you are well and finding joy in your piece of outside.

Love from the woods,

Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment