Friday, May 13, 2011

As of 05.11.11 We are 3/4 -- DONE with chemo!

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
Talking to my
peeps on FB from the chemo ward!


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
Smilin' for Davey ..
because he won't take "NO" for an answer!

I can't lie to you. I hate these pictures. I've struggled the last couple of weeks with the further degradation of my appearance. After all .. a year ago this was ME:


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
35th High School Reunion
May 2010


But, even then, I knew something was wrong. I hadn't felt good, energetic or like myself in almost a year. The symptoms were so subtle .. I couldn't even verbalize it. Fatigue, but I was reminded that I WAS 53. And overweight. Still, I wasn't buying it. It would be a short five months till I "felt" literally, what WAS wrong. Herschel made himself known.

So last Wednesday was my third of four FAC treatments after a visit with my oncologist. Have I mentioned how much I adore my MDA team? My nurse, Grace is awesome. My doc, fabulous. I couldn't be happier with my treatment. My port nurses and chemo nurses (all except that ONE) have been attentive and supportive and amazing. I'm so very grateful.

Doc says my blood work indicates I am tolerating the FAC beautifully. She says my tears and emotions are perfectly normal for someone whose body has been bombarded with poisons for five months. She knows I am tired .. but march on we must. My next and FINAL FAC is June 1. Then, I'll get a little bit of a reprieve since my next appointment won't be until June 22. I'll have a final pre-surgical ultrasound (can't wait to see how tiny Herschel is NOW!) and a consult with my breast surgeon. Hopefully, Herschel's eviction will come before the end of June. Can you say PARTAY?

Continued bottomless gratitude for all the love, support, dollars, gifts, CHOCOLATE, cookies, flowers, cards and did I say LOVE? You will never know how much easier this road has been because of all of YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment