Friday, February 4, 2011

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
I have lost my hair but I still have my sense of humor - mostly.

The Good (Or The Really, Really, Really Good):

I saw my oncologist on Wednesday for the first time since I started chemo. I like her so much. She's so warm and friendly and spends as much time with us as we need. I tell her each time I see her that I am glad she's there.

She asked me if I felt any difference in the tumor's size. It hadn't even occurred to me to check. My girls and I have had a tiff. We're not speaking. So I was really surprised, when Dr. M. couldn't "find" Herschel and I had to point him out to her, that he was considerably smaller, ill defined and not nearly as dense. WOW! Only five treatments in and we're seeing significant response to chemo. Thank you, God! Thank you, Dr. M.!

We're still on track for the remaining seven treatments of this round and the additional twelve week session to follow this one. I have a consult with a breast surgeon in March so surgery is still part of this equation but clearly we're talking (hopefully!) about less of a surgery.


The Bad (but it could always be worse):


I left my jacket (one I love) in my chemo room but it wasn't found by anyone so I guess it's gone. I just hate losing things. But I realized I had that jacket for more than fifteen years and I got it on sale at the end of the season for $40. so I really can't grieve for it except it was black suede and crochet and I really, really liked it.

(Really Darlene? Is this newsworthy? No .. but I needed a "bad" .. so .. shup.)


The Ugly (or I Can't Believe She Did It!):


So there she was, sitting across from me on the sofa. Her husband was the patient but he looked healthy so it took me a while to figure it out. They were fortyish, affluent, professional yuppie-types. She was about a size two (ugh.) with boots to die for. She had an Apple laptop and an emerald wedding band. (I suppose I was staring.)

I couldn't hear their conversation but she was clearly exasperated by something on her computer screen (later I learned it was a flight issue) but her husband didn't seem to share her angst. When he was called back for chemo, she was dragging up the rear and putting away her computer. Then she carefully stacked her four (yes FOUR!) empty styrofoam coffee cups (silly me, I reuse one), her empty cookie package and left them on the sofa!

She walked right past a trash can on the way into chemo. I was appalled. I got up, picked up her pile and walked them to the trash can, shaking my head at the gall of those kind of people.

About half an hour later (I was two hours late getting in for chemo), she came out, walked to the reception area, got a 'sign in' sheet to use for notepaper, whipped out her iphone and proceeded to be very unhappy with someone on the other end of that phone. She jotted notes, got angry and wadded up her paper and I thought "Oh no .. she's not .."

A Chinese lady (who was napping) had finished her coffee and the cup was sitting on the table beside her. Miss Snotty Trash Maker looked around, spotted the cup and put her wadded up paper in the lady's coffee cup! Then, again, she walked right past the trash can to stomp off into her husband's treatment room.

I looked at Dave, Dave looked at me with a big "No .. you don't!" look in his eye. Honestly, I'd have humilated her in that room full of people if only I could hear. Not hearing keeps me meek. But look out! When I get new hearing aids, I will be toting some new brass balls. And I will be prepared for Miss Snotty Trash Maker. What is wrong with people like that? If you know, please tell me? Meanwhile, I harbor a secret desire to see her again and give her a big ole piece of my mind ...

Chemo makes me feisty! Thankfully, I can only go for short bursts before I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment