Saturday, February 19, 2011

My MDA good fairies

This was week seven of twelve. More than halfway through the first round of chemo, I am experiencing some new side effects. My mouth feels a little scorched. Not really burned, like maybe I've eaten too much salt? And additionally, I've cut out all added salt to my diet because I am so sensitive to it. I find myself eating more (and brushing my teeth more) just to get rid of the bad taste in my mouth. I'll talk to the oncologist about it next week.


I thought the nose bleeds were subsiding a bit but they seem to have escalated a bit this week. I'm sure that this is all just 'chemo territory'. All the cells that multiply rapidly are affected whether they are cancerous or not. So mucous linings (nose, mouth) are susceptible to the power of chemo just like the Herschel cancer cells are.


My energy seems to be at an all time low. I didn't think it could get worse but I'm actually napping a little during the day. I'm not really sleepy, just so tired I need to lie down and then sleep comes. And I tell you all this not to complain (it could all be so much worse, couldn't it?), but just to let you know what's happening with my treatment.


The 4.9 lbs I supposedly gained last week lost 3.4 of their hold on me this week. I think it was a fluke. I'd been holding steady so a nearly five pound weight gain was an unpleasant surprise. Still, all this inactivity has to come into play at some point. I'm going to ask the doc if I can start Weight Watchers just to keep the extra pounds at bay. I think I know what she'll say. I think she'll tell me to quit worrying about it and go on Weight Watchers when I'm done and healthy. But it never hurts to ask.


Now. About these photos ... Dave refuses to take photos where I am not smiling. He does all these goofy faces in an effort to make me smile. I resist as long as possible just to see how far he'll go. Eventually, I am silly putty and he gets the photo he's after.


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010



I'm grateful for his presence, always. And I'm especially grateful for his lovable support now. The only time we butt heads is when his protective nature goes into overdrive and I resist being 'taken care of'. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often. I think we laugh more than the average couple .. of course we are both infinitely entertaining .. (at least to each other.)


There are some other folks I am grateful for as well. One of the first people we see on our weekly trips to MDA is a lady attendant in the parking garage. She always tells me how pretty I am, asks how I am feeling and wishes God's blessings on me. I've come to look forward to her smiles. She starts my MDA day off on a sunshiney note .. and when she's not there I miss her.


My first stop every MDA visit is to have blood work to make sure all my counts are within line to continue my therapy. I've learned to ask for Miss Tori. She's the fastest, most painless needle in the west. The girl knows how to stick me perfectly each and every time.


And in chemo there a nurses aide named Miss Carol who always makes my visit pleasant. She's warm and friendly and welcoming. The really bad day when I had my port installed I didn't see her until it was time to go and I let her know that I had missed her! It's so nice to have these familiar faces to look forward to. And I know that I am not the only one they shower their sunshine on.


Dave and I talk a lot about when we win the lottery what we will do with all those countless millions. Since my cancer diagnosis, some of the things on that list have changed. And there are new recipients on the list, including these three ladies. I would love nothing more than to hand them a big check someday and thank them for the comfort, smiles and love that they shared with me weekly during my cancer journey. In the meantime, last week I took them all a dozen Dirt Road Heaven eggs. As eggs go, they're pretty priceless, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment