Monday, March 14, 2011

No. 10

My very best friend since high school, Belinda, graciously and generously accompanied me to chemo number ten. She also waited on me hand and foot, bought all my favorite chemo foods, made sure I drank plenty of water, put extra blankets on my bed, made sure I made it safely up and down the stairs, and loved me as sincerely and profoundly as anyone could ask for.

We've shared so many things over the years, some good, some bad, and always she has been the voice of truth that I could trust in. I can't imagine that having a sister would be any more remarkable than what I share with Belinda. I love her dearly.

Of course I took my camera to chemo like I always do but we forgot to take pictures. Belinda offered later, during my oncology exam (while I was topless), but I politely declined. You're welcome - see I am always thinking of you!

In the three days I was with her we shared heart to hearts and popsicles. She made me eat yogurt and blue berries .. and buy a bra that hitches my girls to a more acceptable level of 'perk'. She shopped till I dropped and brought me countless outfits to a dressing room where I huddled in various stages of undress while she "styled" me in a way that only she can. She's a dynamo, a wizard and true star. Of all the gifts I have in this life, Belinda is one of the best.

Medically, my issues the week before chemo No. 10 were primarily low blood pressure. I had three episodes of near-fainting. And I am not a fainter - in my whole life I have never gone completely out. My oncologist agreed that perhaps halving my blood pressure meds would alleviate the problem and so far it has.

On the 16th I meet with my breast surgeon for the first time. I don't think surgery will occur until after all chemo is complete. I have two more Taxol treatments before I start the FAC routine on the 30th. I'm a little anxious about it since I keep being told all the symptoms of Taxol will be amplified with FAC. I am so ready for this to be done.

I don't even pretend to be tough any more. I accept my wimpiness only because I know it's temporary and necessary. There are days I wonder if I will ever feel like myself again but Dave assures me I will. Without him and all of you who constantly encourage and support me, I know this road would have been infinitely harder.

I'm grateful for this experience because it's shown me beyond all doubt how much love surrounds me. And it's just bad form to be whiny when you're being so profoundly loved!


All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010A bit of Hannah medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment