Thursday, March 17, 2011

Showdown at the Boobie Corral ..

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010No. 11 and counting ...

The photos don't lie. I am so very tired. Up until about three weeks ago I was still maintaining pretty well but I've hit a brick chemo wall. I feel like I wear concrete shoes most of the time and you know how I feel about shoes. Still, if fatigue is all I have to complain about I still consider myself pretty lucky. I tell myself all the time, "it could be worse".

I met my breast surgeon (surgical oncologist) yesterday and I really liked her and her staff. She's very professional but made sure to accommodate my hearing loss and took lots of time in answering my questions. I feel I am in excellent hands .. again. I can't stress enough how pleased I am with my care at MDA. Each and every person there has far exceeded my expectations and when you consider the thousands of patients seen there every day, the efficiency of this place is astounding.

My doc laid out my schedule for the next six months or so:

  • Twelve weeks of FAC chemo, once every three weeks.

  • Surgical removal of Herschel & diseased lymph nodes.

  • Five or so weeks to recuperate from surgery.

  • Five weeks of daily radiation therapy.

  • I was shocked at the radiation schedule. It's not an option given the size of my tumor at diagnosis. Recurrence of cancer with surgery and radiation is 7%. If I add the use of estrogen blockers for five years (since my tumor is estrogen responsive) it drops the recurrence rate to 3%. Logistically daily therapy for someone who lives in Grapeland is a nightmare but I think we have it worked out. It will mean spending my weekdays with my brother and family who live near Katy as there is an MDA facility where I can receive treatment. Once again, I'm being cared for .. and in a glorious heaven-sent manner.

    There are several things going on in the near future on my behalf. The graciousness and generosity of family and friends continues to amaze me .. humble me and make me feel very loved.

    My daughter Ashley has organized a "Fun Run" on my 54th birthday in Willis, Texas. You can read all about it at this link.

    And my very dear friend (since high school!), Bob Stephenson, is offering $100 hog hunts on his lease just north of Cleveland, Texas. You can read more about that and get contact info here.

    I also have canvas Hannah prints available for $125. + shipping. These are signed and numbered by artist Marcia Molar. The original painting is in the "Cowgirl Up!" show this month in Wickenburg, AZ. Marcia generously donated all proceeds of prints sales to me in my fight to decimate Herschel.

    All funds raised go into a special fund that covers travel expenses (gas/tolls/parking/meals) in our travels to and from Houston (six hours round trip). At the end of my treatment any remaining funds will be donated to The Rose, the organization that treats uninsured and low income women and where I received the biopsy of Herschel last November. They were also instrumental in getting me on the road to treatment at M. D. Anderson, the premier cancer hospital in the Universe.

    So next Wednesday is a busy, busy day. I start at 7:00 am with chest x-tray, then a CT Scan, then chemo (last Taxol!) and then an ultrasound. Please offer some extra prayers that the results will show a much reduced Herschel, a reduction in the inflammation of my central lymph gland and that the cysts on my liver/kidneys and thyroid, as well as the "spots" in my lungs are all unchanged. Eternal heartfelt gratitude for all the love and support. I couldn't be more grateful.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment