Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chemo II - Easy Peasy

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
Chemo 2 (there was a DVD player!)

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
Tapped my hand again. Ugh.

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
My backup singers ..

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
How could I ever do this without him?

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
All done - piece of cake ..

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
Da bear .. Love my Saul bear ..

Two middle eastern women in burkas, a Chinese woman, an African American woman and two Caucasian women go into a bar ...

Just kidding .. these were all the women waiting in my suite for chemo today. The older middle eastern woman was the patient, she was heavy but had bad color and clearly didn't feel well. The younger woman was likely her daughter and all I could see were her eyes but they smiled back at mine. There was a man (who didn't sit with them) who, I suppose, was their token male.

The black lady was frail and in a wheel chair. She was cold and requested a blanket before they took her back for her meds. She didn't look like she felt very well either. She sat with her back to me and held her head in her hands mostly. Her son and daughter-in-law were with her but she didn't converse much.

The Chinese lady appeared to be alone. She wore a sweater cap but I bet she was bald under it. She walked like her joints ached and she didn't smile once, even though I smiled at her repeatedly. Oh well. You can't win 'em all.

The white lady was very frail, in a wheelchair, in a turban, in a blanket and never made eye contact with me. I don't think she was much older than me (based on the age of her daughter pushing her chair) but she looked much older. I wonder what she looked like before cancer ....

My entourage filled the sofa. Dave, me, Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Elton John, Sean Colvin, Lindsay Buckingham, Stephen Stills, David Crosby, Graham Nash ..

Yes. You read me right. Of course they were on my MP3 player .. but still. Nice company, huh? I felt a little guilty (well, more than a little) that I could plug in, turn on and tried (without success) to sit still during "Building The Perfect Beast". I still feel good. Nothing hurts, nothing is sick. I'm not green. I still have hair - sorta. I'm not unhappy.

It's because of you, you know. I imagine each of you as a big Macy's Thanksgiving Day Balloons ... ;) .... and you're all holding me up. It's really cool .. you all have these silly grins and keep bumping into each other .. and there I am, smack dab in the middle with my toes barely touching the ground. Aaaaah. My balloon buddies .. you ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment