Sunday, January 23, 2011

Goodbye hair ..

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010
..bitterly disappointed

Despite all my beliefs to the contrary, it turns out I am a mere mortal and susceptible to the consequences of chemo just like all my cancer sisters and brothers.

My hair is falling out.

Yesterday, I noticed my scalp was sore just like when, in grade school, my mother made my ponytail too tight. I was afraid it meant something .. and it did. Today when I run my fingers thru my hair, the hair comes with my fingers.

I thought I was prepared but Dave found me staring at a handful of it and the tears just flowed. Fortunately, Dave knows the best cure for hair loss and bit of a broken heart is to scoop me up and let me cry - just for a bit - and then to reassure me that all is well. Hair doesn't define me. For better or for worse ... life goes on .. and this too shall pass.

Tuesday (after a local ear, nose & throat appointment), we're off to Houston for afternoon bloodwork in preparation for my port surgery scheduled for Wednesday. After that, session four of round one chemo. Continued gratitude for your continued prayers. Much love, my faithful Herschel haters ..

No comments:

Post a Comment