Friday, January 14, 2011

Port of Call ...

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010

So, MDA called yesterday and threw us into a bit of a tizzy.

Seems they want to install my port for chemo this month. I assumed it wouldn't go in until the first round was finished (mid March) as the Taxol I'm on is vein safe. The second round of chemo (affectionately known as "FAC") isn't so tissue friendly, hence the port delivery.

Given that they have had to use my hand for chemo both time (and took blood there last week as well), I'm not opposed to a little surgical "stick it" place. Dave isn't as happy about having plastics in my body ... see, he's kind of an au naturelle kind of guy.

We're meeting with the surgeon next week for a consult so we'll learn more about it then and, hopefully, Dave will feel better about it after.

Yesterday was kind of a funky day. He was quiet and irritable and I could tell stressed about things. It's the first time he's shown any sign of wear and tear. So I made him a pot of gumbo last night hoping to cheer him up.

I felt great all day yesterday but got pooped when we did our chicken chores. It's always harder in cold weather. But I slept all night (I don't usually) and woke up feeling feisty and fine this morning. We're off to do errands (MEXICAN FOOD) in a bit.

Thanks for all your prayers. Keep 'em coming .. please! We're doing really well and we just want to keep up this positive momentum as long as possible before I fall victim to the usual symptoms of chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment