Sunday, December 26, 2010

Labels

All text & photographs on Dirt Road Heaven © by Darlene Meader Riggs, 2010


Labels. I'm not a big wine drinker but I admit I've bought more than one bottle on the virtue of the label alone. Come to think of it .. I picked a couple of husbands that way too. In both cases I learned that it might not be the best way to choose ...

I've had a few dozen labels myself, some were self-inflicted, many of them harsh. It's funny how we define ourselves and how our perspective differs from how others see us.

I'm a daughter, sister, friend, tall girl, wife, mother, cook, chicken rancher, lover, nature nut, Cheeto-lover, creative-type, ex-river guide, ex-wife, ex-office manager. I think of myself as a warrior woman who wears battle scars proudly. I may not be as pretty as I once was but I've always known that beauty is fleeting so I never put much store in it. It is my character, my strength, my love and my faith that defines me. My wit, my depth of feeling, and my experiences in life that have forged me. The years and experiences have taught me to be strong, as self sufficient as I can be, as resilient as possible and to laugh thru the tears. Today. Who knows who I will be tomorrow?

I'm still getting used to the idea of having cancer and what that means in my life, to Dave, to my children. I'm having to adjust my vision, toughen my skin, draw on the help and hope of others and remember that this is yet another passage.

Nothing lasts forever. Even cancer. Soon I will have a new label in my arsenal .. Cancer Survivor.

5 comments: